Friday, December 21, 2012

20 Years and Christmas Cheers

      With Christmas just a few days away, my thoughts have lingered on the women and children living at Catherine's House. How do they celebrate Christmas? Do the children wonder if Santa will find them at a strange place? Do the mother's wonder how they will provide a magical experience for their expectant kids?

      As the national news has been filled with tragic stories of the loss of children, I couldn't help but wonder about the children, and their parents, living so close to so many of us. But after talking with Sister Carmelita, my worries were put at ease, as Catherine's House ensures a wonderful Christmas for all; this year especially is filled with celebrations and blessings.

      I have mentioned in previous posts (this one and a picture from this one) that Catherine's House hosted their 20th Anniversary and Tree Lighting Ceremony on December 13th. I was unfortunately unable to attend the festivities, but from what I was told, it was wonderful. Memebers of the community, patrons, and special guests arrived to the beautifully decorated house. Previous resident's spoke of the blessings they received at Catherine's House and the accomplishments they have achieved since leaving. Sister Carmelita spoke to the guests about their mission and services. The President and CEO of Catherine's House helped light up the spectacular tree outside.


Patsy Fuller with the decorated tree
inside the house
      Here are some pictures of the event provided by the Montcross Area Chamber of Commerce which serves more than 340 business members in the area!


President and CEO Stan Patterson with
Sister Carmelita after lighting the tree
















Sister Carmelita telling tour groups about the house

      On December 18th, the John Wieland Homes hosted their annual Christmas Dinner. The women and children of Catherine's House attended and were visited by Santa, who brought many gifts for both the mothers and their kids.

      Christmas morning is truly the best though, as the house will be buzzing with the residents opening their many, many gifts provided by the children from Saint Gabriel Catholic School. These children, with their parents, make sure that Catherine's House residents have the best Christmas of their lives. They also provide many household items for the new year. What a wonderful gift!

      Knowing that the resident's will be provided for helped put me at ease, but my thoughts and prayers will continue to be with them. Though I will not be formally blogging about my adventures and time spent in the house, I will continue to serve Catherine's House as needed.  During the Season of Giving, I hope I was able to give a little bit to them, for they certaintly gave me more than I could have imagined - perspective, gratitude, and a desire to assist. I also hope that my recording of some of their stories and experiences has helped shed a light on the needs of many women and children in the community, and ignited a spark to serve in others.

      I have an undying gratitude for Catherine's House- for the services they provide to others and for their welcoming arms letting me into their lives. I am so glad that they will be receiving a magical and blessed Christmas. It just goes to show what a little bit of mercy in life can do for someone.

      Be sure to visit http://catherineshouseinc.org/ to learn more about Catherine's House and how you can help out these wonderful people!

                                                                     God Bless,
                                                                              Megan




No comments:

Post a Comment